Being healthy is not something that matters only when you are trying to get pregnant. Every day, you choose what goes into your body to nourish and sustain it. The quality of your diet, along with how active you are and whether you smoke, can stack the reproductive deck in your favor. It can also improve your quality of life, give you more energy, help you to focus, lose weight, sleep better and so many other things!!
“There is evidence that supports that various dietary patterns support fertility goals; however, most patterns have components in common, such as being rich in fruits, vegetables, whole grains and seafood,” said Lauren Manaker, an infertility and prenatal dietitian who counsels women and men who want to conceive. “Eating this way will likely not hinder chances of conception versus eating a diet that is common in the Western world, which is rich in refined carbs and processed foods and low in vegetables.”
I don’t know about any of you, but in our house we keep freezer foods on hand. Pizza rolls, individual meals, pizza pockets, pizzas…. I’m seeing a theme here. 😂 When we eat out, we also tend to choose pizza.
Those of you reading this are not the only ones that are going to be making life changes!! I am right there with you, making the same changes. As I was developing the 7 Day Whole Body Fertility Challenge, I realized that I needed to apply it to my own life in order to increase my own whole body fertility!!
The whole body fertility diet in 8 recommendations:
- Avoid trans fats, the artery-clogging fats found in many commercially prepared products and fast foods.
- Use more unsaturated vegetable oils, such as olive oil or canola oil.
- Take a multivitamin that contains folic acid and other B vitamins.
- Make sure to add lots of color to every meal in the form of fruits and vegetables.
- Beverages matter: Water is great; coffee and tea are OK in moderation; stay away from sugared sodas, energy drinks and alcohol.
- Aim for a healthy weight. If you are overweight, losing between 5% and 10% of your weight can jump-start ovulation.
- If you aren’t physically active, start a daily exercise plan. But don’t overdo it, especially if you are quite lean. Too much exercise can work against conception. Adding 30 minutes of brisk walking to a modest daily reduction in calories has been proven to help ward off excess weight and improve fertility.
- If you smoke: stop.
It’s recommended that you have 3 meals and 2 snacks a day. Here are some sample meals to get you started:
- 1 cup cooked oatmeal, 1/4 cup toasted, slivered almonds, 1 cup blueberries, 1 cup whole milk
- whole-wheat toast, almond butter, vanilla soy milk, yogurt, sliced peaches and coffee or tea
- High protein blueberry-almond smoothie and toast with almond butter
- Ricotta-oat bran pancakes with maple-raspberry sauce and greek yogurt
- dried cranberries
- 1 sliced apple
- string cheese
- 1 hard-boiled egg
- 10 to 20 carrot or celery sticks
- Chili-spiced shrimp
- Porcini-crusted black cod with garlic spinach
- Sweet and sour Indian vegetable stew with brown rice
- Honey-ginger tofu with quinoa and kale pilaf
- Broccoli and white bean gratin, 2 1-ounce slices whole-wheat bread, 2 cups field greens with 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, 2 teaspoons olive oil and a splash of vinegar, and 1 cup sliced strawberries
Use this checklist to track what you should be getting everyday:
- Lots of water throughout the day
- Take a prenatal multivitamin, plus mineral with 1 mg folic acid (men should take an iron-free multivitamin plus mineral)
- Vitamin D
- Omega 3s
- Exercise (Gentle exercise is best.)
Make sure you grab a copy of my FREE guide Trying To Conceive Language & my FREE Self-Care Mini Course. You can access either one by clicking on the title. These are packed full of information that you can begin implementing today to put yourself one step closer to getting pregnant, naturally.
If you’re looking for a group of like-minded women with which to share your fertility wellness journey, be sure to check out my Whole Body Fertility & Wellness Facebook group today!
- THANKSGIVING AS FERTILITY HOLIDAY- SYMBOLS, FEASTING, AND GRATITUDE
- Natural Mothering Begins with Birth
- 12 Signs You Need to Take a Break ASAP
- Babywearing: Everything You Need to Know to Wear Your Baby Safely
- 10 NATURAL COLD AND FLU REMEDIES THAT WORK